The Rolex GMT Vs the Rolex Submariner
The Rolex GMT and the Rolex Submariner fall into the professional line of watches. While the GMT is meant for the aviators, the Submariner was the world’s first watch designed for diving. Both were introduced in 1954 at the Basel Fair.
Similarities between the Rolex GMT and the Rolex Submariner
Apart from being professional Rolex watches and sharing the same launching year, there are other similarities in the current versions of the two models. Some of these include:
1. Standard case size of 40mm
2. Self-winding mechanism
3. Rotating bezel
4. A scratch-resistant synthetic sapphire crystal, which gives the two watches a slimmer look
5. Triplock system providing another layer of protection to the Oyster case. It features a triple gasket system that screws down tightly onto the case tube and against the Oyster case
6. Available in 18k yellow gold, steel and Rolesor
Besides these similarities, the option of black bezel 二手錶香港 with black dial is also very popular in both these models.
How is the Rolex GMT Different from the Rolex Submariner?
Rolex created these two models to meet different professional needs. Some of the major aspects where the watch models differ from each other are explained below:
1. The Rolex Submariner features a uni-directional rotating bezel as opposed to the bi-directional bezel found in the Rolex GMT watches. The functionality of the bezels is different in the two models. The uni-directional bezel in the Rolex Submariner is designed to help a diver measure the elapsed time while diving. Before a diver gets enters the water, he needs to set the bezel so the triangle engraved on the bezel points at the current minute hand position. This will start counting the minutes while the diver descends. Similarly, by resetting the position of the triangle again, he can pace his ascent as well. Thus, by measuring the elapsed time, the bezel ensures the safety of the diver.(On the other hand, the bi-directional rotating bezel in the Rolex GMT helps the wearer to read the time in two different time zones simultaneously. Divided into two equal parts, the time 6:00 to 18:00 represents the day and the time 18:00 to 6:00 represents the night. The special 24 hour hand is used to display the 24 hour time frame on the bezel. The watch features an independent hour hand, which can be set to a different time zone without adjusting the 24 hour hand and the bezel. In addition, the “one-hour” jump feature enables the hour hand to jump one hour at a time without affecting the minute or second hand. This feature is not present in the Submariner models.
2. The current Rolex GMT Models have a water depth rating of 330 feet, while the Submariner models have a water depth rating of 300 meters or 1000 feet.
3. All current Rolex GMT models sport a ceramic bezel, unlike the Submariner models.
4. The Rolex GMT models currently available offer many jewelry embedded options such as diamond-paved dial, rotating bezel fitted with diamonds, sapphires and rubies and even diamond fitted lugs. Such jewelry options are not available in the Submariner models.